Follow
Us:
Benzagel Acne Care Community

The Acne BlogAcne TipsShared StoriesAcne Q&A

I work out to stay healthy; but then I get sweaty and have to take extra showers. Is extra moisturizing enough or do I need to do more to keep my skin healthy?

The health benefits of exercise are clear and certainly you would not want to alter your exercise routine due to concerns about your skin.  As well, keep in mind that it is important to shower after exercise as perspiration on the skin can contribute to body acne by trapping bacteria. There are several things that… Read More

I try really hard to use the right skin care products and techniques but I still have acne problems. Is it something that I’ll grow out of?

For the most part, acne does improve over time. Acne severity tends to peak during the teenage years and improve near the end of the teenage years or early twenties, but the natural change over time is variable. Acne may improve sooner for some individuals, and for others, acne will continue into adulthood. This is… Read More

I have a lot of small pimples; is it okay to put spot treatment all over my face?

Spot treatments for acne are intended for periodic use on individual blemishes when they appear on the face. These products are generally not well suited for broad application over a large area as they can cause excessive peeling, scaling and redness in some individuals. If you have many pimples, a spot treatment, used alone, might… Read More

I don’t have acne on a regular basis, but sometimes I get flare ups and major breakouts. Is there anything I can do to prevent them?

Acne flare ups can be caused by a number of different things and recognizing your triggers could help you to avoid future flare ups. Common triggers for acne include: • Hormonal changes (e.g. related to the menstrual cycle or puberty) • Dietary factors (e.g. consuming a diet high in sugar) • Touching your face with… Read More

How do I deal with pimples that are in awkward spots, like my nose or on my eyelid?

For pimples that are close to sensitive areas such as the eyes or other mucous membranes (for example, the lining of the nose or mouth), it is best to avoid using cleansers, creams, lotions or gels that contain potentially irritating products. For instance, although benzoyl peroxide is known to be effective against acne, you should… Read More

Does drinking more water really help your skin?

Maintaining skin hydration is important in the management of acne, since over-drying of the skin can cause irritation to acne lesions. Unfortunately, drinking more water has not been shown in research studies to improve skin hydration, overall appearance of the skin, or acne directly. However, drinking more water could have an indirect benefit on acne… Read More

Do I treat body acne the same as acne on my face?

For the most part, body acne is managed similar to facial acne. Treatment options may include over the counter topical agents (e.g., benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, sulfur), topical agents that require a prescription (e.g., retinoic acid, clindamycin lotion, adapalene) and oral antibiotics (tetracycline, minocycline, erythromycin, doxycycline), which also require a prescription. Isotretinoin, also an oral… Read More