Follow
Us:

The Acne BlogAcne TipsShared StoriesAcne Q&A

With the “festive season” coming, should I avoid indulging in certain foods, or change my routine to avoid acne flare-ups?

For many individuals, the holiday season can bring with it acne flare ups, with diet being a possible trigger to think about. Holiday eating often involves an increase in the amount of sugar and other carbohydrates in the diet. While the relationship between acne and diet has been debated over the years, some recent evidence… Read More

Why do I find that during the holiday season, just when my family and friends are getting together, my acne seems to flare-up?

The underlying cause of acne is complex, involving genetic factors, as well as a number of different environmental factors. While there is some debate over the extent to which specific environmental factors influence acne, stress and diet are two factors that could potentially contribute to the development of acne or aggravation of pre-existing acne in… Read More

I’m 15 and about a week before my period starts I get big red pimples on my chin and they hurt to touch. Is there a way to prevent or lessen them without drying out my skin?

Premenstrual acne flares are a common phenomenon, with almost one-half of females reporting that their acne gets worse prior to their menstrual period. These acne flares are generally attributable changing hormone levels during different stages of the menstrual cycle. At certain phases, levels of sebum (oil) on the skin increase, which also results in an… Read More

Are acne cysts caused by the same things as whiteheads and blackheads? And how can I prevent them?

Acne cysts differ from whiteheads and blackheads. White heads and black heads (comedones) form due to clogged pores. Hair follicles of the skin (pores) become blocked with excess sebum (oil) and dead skin cells. Bacteria can infect the plugged follicle, which then becomes inflamed and irritated. Whiteheads are clogged follicles that are closed, while blackheads… Read More