Follow
Us:

The Acne BlogAcne TipsShared StoriesAcne Q&A

Benzoyl Peroxide: How Benzagel’s Acne Fighting Ingredient Works

Benzoyl Peroxide is one of the most highly recommended, and trusted acne fighting treatments in the world. However, many people don’t know the long history that this bacteria killing ingredient has, and how it helps people put their best face forward.

First created in 1905, and introduced as an effective acne treatment in the 1930s, Benzoyl Peroxide has been helping individuals with acne prone skin for over 80 years. Today, you can find it in all of the Benzagel family of products, (Acne Gel, Acne Wash, and Spot On) as an active and effective topical treatment of acne breakouts.

In fact, Benzoyl Peroxide is so effective that it has been included on the World Health Organization’s List of Essential Medicines.

Benzoyl Peroxide works two ways. First, by attacking and killing acne causing bacteria and unclogging pores by clearing away dead skin cells. And second, by adding oxygen to the skin which removes the ability of Propionibacterium acnes bacteria to cause redness and inflammation to acne spots. By washing with products including Benzoyl Peroxide, you give yourself the best chance to win in the fight against acne. In fact, many studies have shown that Benzoyl Peroxide continues to be effective even when acne has become resistant and antibiotic treatments have stopped working. (1)

We recommend that everyone test new products on a small patch of skin on their arm, as some people may experience allergic reactions to Benzoyl Peroxide based products. For people with more senstive skin, Benzagel offers a 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide formula as well as our 5% formula.

As the #1 Pharmacist Recommended OTC acne treatment brand in Canada, Benzagel is proud of our Benzoyl Peroxide based formulas, and the success that many Canadians have experienced with their use.

Benzagel Testimonials

I suffered with acne since I was 13 years old. I tried every single face wash I could get my hands on. It got so bad I got referred to a dermatologist and he prescribed me with antibiotics I needed to take twice a day and I was on it for about 3 years. My acne still wasn’t under control so a doctor told me to try the Benzagel 5 Acne Gel and it worked!Vsearson, chickadvisor.com

I bought this, used it, and within a week about 90% of my pimples were gone! Yes it dries out your skin, but just remember to use this at night and then use a moisterizer in the morning. Once my skin was almost all clear, I switched to using this on single blemish spots only. Seriously this stuff works and has truly brought back a nice clear completion for me. The super relentless acne on my chin still shows up but nowhere near as big and as stubborn as it was before. This was pretty inexpensive as well. It works!ada18, makeupalley.com

*results may vary from person to person

If you’re looking for a trusted, recommended, and effective acne treatment, we’ve got you covered.

Put Your Best Face Forward.

(1) Acne.com: 9 Things To Know About Benzoyl Peroxide. Accessed: Aug. 3, 2017. https://www.acne.com/treatment-approaches/benzoyl-peroxide/the-basics-9-things-to-know-about-benzoyl-peroxide/

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Simple Summer Vacation Tips for You!

Summer is coming, and that means it’s time to start planning for your super summer vacation. To help you get ready, we’ve got a few tips to pass on to you today.

Pack the Right Clothes

If you’re going camping or to a cottage with friends, and you’re planning on sitting out on the dock, or by the fire as the day turns to night and the stars come out, you’re going to want to pack some long sleeved shirts, long pants, and maybe even a hoodie to keep you warm.

Yes, it’s going to be hot all day, and you’re going to be thinking about bathing suits, shorts and tank tops, but when the night-time comes, you don’t want to have to go inside (or get in your sleeping bag) because you got chilly!

Long pants and long sleeves (light fabrics are ok, you don’t need to wear heavy pants and sweaters) will also help protect you from bugs that can make a great summer day a little less awesome when they start to buzz around you and bite.

Don’t Forget Your Accessories

We all know that hats and sunglasses are must haves for summer vacations, not only because they make for great fashion, but because you need to protect yourself from the sun.

A great hat with a wide brim can help to keep the sun off of your face and neck, helping to avoid sunburn. Remember though, if you have a favourite hat that you wear a lot in the summer, you need to wash it regularly to avoid spreading accumulated bacteria to your forehead and hairline. Nobody wants to deal with an acne breakout while they’re on summer vacation!

When it comes to choosing your summer sunglasses, it is important to look for UV protection. Cute sunglasses might look great in pictures, but if your eyes aren’t being protected from the harmful rays from the sun, you are doing yourself a disservice that may cost you in the future in the form of eye damage.

And here’s our last accessory tip: If you’re going to a music festival, don’t wear your best jewellery and accessories. Pop into a store, buy some bargain pieces (there are always great deals available!) that fit your look, and you’ll worry less about losing or breaking the good pieces while you’re having a good time!

Taking Pictures vs. Staying in the Moment Balance

We all love seeing awesome vacation photos on Twitter and Instagram, and we know how good it feels to get Likes and Favourites and Retweets… but some moments and memories truly need to be experienced by your eyes, and not the lens of your camera.

When you see a brilliant sunset or you’re having an awesome moment with your friends, stop to experience and love it for a moment before you decide that you need to pull your phone out. Those precious moments enjoyed live and in person, are totally worth it.

And if you’re at a great concert or festival this summer, don’t worry about taking too many photos. There’s a balance you need to find between snapping a photo or video for your timeline to share with friends, and experiencing the awesome live music happening right in front of you.

We love seeing your selfies that celebrate life and all of the great things you’re experiencing; but remember that your life doesn’t have to be 100% shared with the world. Some moments you’re allowed to keep for yourself!

Remember Your Skincare Routine

Vacations are a great excuse to get a break from many of life’s routines, but you don’t want to slack off on your skin care!

When you’re packing your adorable and functional summer vacation clothes, remember to also pack your sunscreen, moisturizer, and Benzagel products to help keep your skin clean, so you can put your best face forward all summer long.

No matter what your plans are, whether you’re going to be in a canoe, on the beach, at a music festival, hiking a trail, or sitting in a park with friends, you should absolutely be taking the time in the morning and before bed to make sure that your face is clean from the day, and ready for tomorrow!

Have an awesome summer, and drop us a comment to share what you’re planning!

Benzagel is #1 in Canada for the 5th Year in a Row!

For the fifth year in a row, Benzagel has been named the #1 recommended acne treatment by pharmacists across Canada!

We know acne sucks. It’s inconvenient, adds stress to your life, hurts your self-confidence, and has zero positive impact on your life. That’s why we continue to offer our products, and why we love to connect with our awesome community online.

We’re proud that pharmacists across the country have once again named Benzagel as the top choice for you. It’s continuing proof to you, and us, that the Benzagel family of products can help you put your best face forward.

Benzagel is #1 with pharmacists because it really works. But here’s a good tip from Dr. Julia Carroll, a Toronto-based Dermatologist that you can also keep in mind…

“People tend to get frustrated after a couple of days but … they really should keep using a product for four to six weeks to let it do what it is supposed to do.”

So, when you’re going through your morning and evening facial routines, reach for Benzagel Acne Gel and Acne Wash. When you’re on the go and notice that a new pimple has popped up, reach into your bag for your Benzagel Spot On applicator. And when you need to give your face a little prep before you wash, use our invigorating Cleansa-Wipes to “take off your day” and refresh your skin.

From coast-to-coast, we’re honoured to be named #1 in Canada – again – and we feel privileged to offer quality products that can really help you mange your acne problems effectively.

Rankings based on the results of the Pharmacy Practice+ and Profession Santé 2017 Survey on OTC Counselling and Recommendations.

Rankings based on the results of the Pharmacy Practice+ and Profession Santé 2017 Survey on OTC Counselling and Recommendations.

Spring into a New Routine!

Spring is a time of new beginnings, new growth, new flowers, and, unfortunately, new pimples. We’re here to help with that last one.

Pimples, zits, breakouts, acne – no matter what you and your friends call them, they suck. But with the right routine and smart product choices, you can fight acne and enjoy everything that Spring has to offer!

The Importance of Routine.

A complete skincare routine will help you stay on top of, and ahead of, acne breakouts. We recommend starting with a twice-a-day full wash routine that helps to keep your pores clear of dirt and oil build up. Keep these three tips in mind when going through your morning and evening washes.

1) Wash with warm water.
2) Use your fingers rather than an abrasive cloth (especially if you are experiencing a breakout)
3) Take your time.

AcneTip: If you wear glasses or sunglasses, be sure to keep them clean. Dirt and oil can accumulate on your frames and transfer to your face, blocking pores and leading to acne breakouts.

Less Stress. More Activity.

Stress can contribute to all sorts of health related issues, including the health of your skin. So keeping your stress low can really help to fight off acne breakouts.

With the temperature rising and more daylight to enjoy, it is easier now to get outside in the fresh air and relieve your stress. Whether you enjoy a hike in woods, a walk in the park, or just sitting under a tree as the clouds float by, getting outside and active in the fresh spring air is an excellent stress reducer you can do almost every day of the week.

Take Our Help.

To help keep your skin acne free, remember that Benzagel is the #1 recommended over the counter acne treatment brand in Canada. More pharmacists recommend our family of products than any other acne option in the country. So if you’re looking for products that can help keep your skin clean, clear, and acne-free, we’re here.

Our Acne Gel and Acne Wash products are the perfect mix, helping to clean your pores and attack bacteria that can lead to acne breakouts. Click Here to learn more: Acne Gel & Wash (link).

Benzagel Spot On is small enough to carry in your pocket, so it’s there for you whenever acne pops up. Formulated to kill acne bacteria and reduce redness, it’s easy to use and ready whenever and wherever you need it. Click Here to learn more: Spot On (link).

Our Cleansa-Wipes are formulated to help normalize the appearance of oily skin types and prepare your skin for acne treatment. They’re perfect for evening use to remove makeup and the daily dirt, oil, and bacteria build-up as part of your face wash routine. Gentle and easy to use, click here to learn more: Cleansa-Wipes (link).

Benzagel Be A Maker Contest Winners!

Our Be A Maker Celebration and Contest has come to an end, and we couldn’t be more proud of the Benzagel community!

So many of you sent in your awesome examples of creativity and stress relief, and we shared more than 60 of them on our community pages over the month-long submission period. And since this was a contest, we have winners to announce and share with you all now.

It was not easy to choose these winners, it never is when you have so much love and passion and talent shared. We hope you have enjoyed seeing the entries as much as we have, and we would like you to join us in congratulating the 12 winners in the 2017 Be A Maker Contest. Click on any of the post titles to see the full submissions, and continue to relieve your stress by following your creative passions!

The Benzagel Be A Maker Winners!

Grand Prize Winners!

Digital Drawing with Bubbly Colours – Nazish A

Nazish showed us her incredible artistic ability, and the opportunity to use technology to create art. She also sees it as an excellent stress reliever, which is a great bonus.

Things I Like [a poem] – Anna L

Poetry has the power to inspire, tell stories, and explain a person’s truth. Anna’s poem does a great job of expressing thoughts and feelings and emotions.

2nd Prize Winners!

Wearing Your Food – Sukhminder B

Crafting comes in many forms, and Sukhminder has shown us some very cool work with these bacon and egg earrings. Even if you’re not a breakfast person, they might make you hungry.

Smiles in the Mail – Andrea

Creativity is one of our favourite things. And Andrea showed her unique homemade postage supplies that got our attention.

3rd Prize Winners!

In The Shop With Steve – Steve H

Wooden Beauty – Stephen

Custom Letters – Jennifer L

A Magical BC Day and Photo – Giordana V

Have You Ever Seen The Rain [music video] – Laura C

The Sketch Pad – Kim H

Cookies, Cupcakes, Chocolates, and more! – Colleen R

Colourful Heron – Margaux W